Monday, March 21, 2005

Settlers, Israelis, and Shalom Achshav

This post goes up in response to a very emotional argument that was had in the Hillel room today. Obviously, due to the content, I think we can guess who was on one side, and I, your glorious exhequer was on the other side. What was the argument about? In one word, Gaza. So, here's what I think about the whole thing, idealistically, realistically, and an outside opinion I just read.

My wants, desires, and morals:

Ok, so what do I want for Israel? I want Israel to be a safe country with a strong economy. I want Israel to not have a deficite, and to function democratically with a western-style government. I want there to be kosher restaurants everywhere I turn, and I want to be able to fly there whenever, for whatever. I would love to go and visit all the historical sights of my ancestors. We were the minority in our own home for more than 2,000 years, but now we have our country back, our home, and our capital (Jerusalem), and I want to keep it all.

I don't want to see the IDF, an army I respect above all others, fighting with other Jews. I don't want to see forcable removal from homes, and I certainly do not want to see an IDF soldier kill another Jew. I don't want to hear that Israel is having social issues, and I certainly do not want to hear of another civil war. The last civil war we had cost us 10 out of the 12 tribes, a painful punishment for petty arguments and the loss of divinity in Israel.

Real life, Israel today v. Biblical Israel, and Gaza


Israel today is a very strange thing. It is a mix of cultures from all around the world, a 50-50 split of European and Mizrahi Jews. The blending of cultures from Latin America, Lithuania, Poland, India, South Africa and Ethiopia, to name a few, makes for what may seem like a volatile arangement. But, we all have something in common, our homeland. We are all decendents of Abraham, who was promised the land of Israel, and we were all there when Moshe received the Torah at Har Sinai.

Israel of the Bible was a completely different matter. It was a completely homogenous society, with no diversity, except for the tribal differences. There was a king, there was a temple, and there were priests. Unfortunately, due to corruption, we were conquered and disperesed.

So what is the land of Israel? The boarders are outlined in the Torah, and we are to assume that HaShem meant for that to be the land given to us. Now, here comes the problem, why don't we own all the land? Theologically, I can't tell you, because I don't know everything, but practically, it's very easy. We got out land through war. After 1948, we didn't even have a glimpse of Hebron, Gaza, or Jericho. We weren't in control of the holiest sight of our religion, but still, the state of Israel carried on. In 1967, we conquered the Sinai, Golan, Gaza Strip, and West Bank. We gave back the Sinai for peace, and so far have kept the rest. Currently, Israel is disputed, but according to Machiavelli (or my interpretation of him), it's "pre 1967 Israel", Ramat HaGolan, The Shomron, Judaea, and Gaza.

What is going to happen soon is the final disengagement of Gaza. The Gaza strip has become a security concern, and it needs to be given to the Palestinians. Allowing 30,000 IDF soldiers to protect 9,000 people in a completely hostile environment is not creating a secure environment. And what is going to be the end of our stay in Gaza? Nothing. We gain nothing from keeping Gaza, and we receive a chance at peace by pulling out.

That reflects my opinion. Here is the opinion of someone else.

1 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

There was an emotional debate in the Hillel room today? Unbelievable.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares