Monday, July 04, 2005

Adventures on JDate

Yes! I'm back--many apologies all around for joining and then disappearing. This time, it's personal.... Well, not so personal. I have other blogs for that. But pretty personal. Okay, anyway.

I recently joined JDate. I suppose part of it was because I had deleted my friendster account and so my internet equilibrium was all out of whack. I suppose part of it was because the topic of shidduch dating has come up more and more lately; I know that at this point I could not be a part of the matchmaking matrix but the idea of a network of Jews looking for a relationship appeals to me. On JDate, of course, the goal isn't marriage per se but anything ranging from a "good time" to a date to a serious relationship. Jews on the site are Traditional or Reform or Conservative or Conservadox of Orthodox or "Unaffiliated" or "Another Stream" or Reconstructionist or Secular or, as in my case, "will tell you later". (I have to tell you later because I sure don't know where I am right now. Can't I just be Jewish?)

I just wrote out a whole paragraph about a boy I was just now chatting with from the site. I erased it because I didn't want to be misunderstood as being cruel or gossiping; it's just that I'm baffled by what happened. A completely frum Orthodox guy who grew up going to Yeshiva messaged me and we began to talk... though he was pretty taken with me I just didn't feel we had enough in common. But he wouldn't back down! I felt bad, like I was batting him away with a stick, but what could I do?

It's hard for everyone to find a match, regardless of what background they're coming from. Lately, though, it's seems like it's been especially difficult for me to figure out what sort of person I'd like to date, since I don't know exactly where I'm going religiously. It has to be someone who is constantly growing. Maybe I'll meet someone off of a website. Maybe not. But it's worth a try.

Damn it, even when I'm trying to not be personal, I get too personal.

6 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Welcome back, Jules!

Monday, July 04, 2005 8:42:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger The Nucular Jew said...

The best way to find a Jewish partner is work at a Jewish camp! There's all sorts at Jewish camps, because everyone was hired for a different job. I found a few good prospects up here already, and it's only been about a week.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:59:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Well...I don't know about that Nukes. My cousin (yes, the famously hot one) works at a camp and as she puts it, "I know practically none of the female staff this summer and all of the guys from last summer." And apparently, none of the guys from last summer were for her, so yeah. But there are many places to meet guys, I'm sure. Or you can go the way of my mother and let yourself "be seen." Wait, I mean, the way of my mom's advice. She doesn't prance herself about town, but apparently I'm supposed to so that people set me up with other people. Fun, doesn't it sound? (I like that--that was a really Jewish sentence!)

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:39:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger D.B. Cooper said...

welcome aboard, leah. now you can remove the Stone of Shame...

& attach the Stone of Triumph!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:24:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Brown Eyed Girl said...

heh heh, ahh, randy, i miss your simpsons quotes.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:57:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger sweetspastic said...

You know what's really weird? ...I just started dating someone (a friend, not from JDate). But thanks for all the advice!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares