Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Complications in Life.

I went online to check my schedule for classes the other day, and I found out that i wasn't registered for a single class. This bothered me a lot, as it would anyone, because apparently I didn't pay my bill. I was in Autralia for the wedding/funeral, and then I came straight to camp, so I'm going to have to call them today and see if I can do anything. On another note, I realized, could I do something else with my life right now? I can, and I might.

There's a program that's through the Israeli army where you can go and volunteer. It's called Machal, Midnadvei Chut L'Aretz. Basically, you serve 14 months in the Israeli army, but it's not like the porgram I already did, it's for real army. Guns and everything. I thought, what a great thing to do with my life. I also got thinking about my life, and how I don't think I'm ready to finish school yet. I'm going to be 20 soon, and I want to finish school, but I don't know what I want to do when school's over. I have the idea in the back of the head that I want to go for the rabbinate, but what then? I could go be a pulpit rabbi, or teach, or go be a chaplain, but is that it? Life is terribly confusing sometimes. Occasionally, I wish I was raised orthodox so that I'd have a job and a wife within the next year or so, and everything would be awesome, and I'd know lots of Torah. But as it is, I've got a lot of catching up to do. I've got to make up basically 17 years of Torah knowledge in a few years. Who knew Judaism was so hard?

So, that's on the table. We'll see what happens in the end, my mom is definately not behind my idea of going to Israel and joining the army, but it's not her decision anymore, is it? I've also thought about the fact that if I do join the army, I might be evacuating some Jews from the territories, and I don't know if I could do that. On the other hand, I really want to serve for Israel, I think it's something every Jews should volunteer for.

I'm off to do my job now, see you all in the fall.

-The Punk Exchequer of HM Treasurey/Freaternities

4 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

"Occasionally, I wish I was raised orthodox so that I'd have a job and a wife within the next year or so, and everything would be awesome, and I'd know lots of Torah."

Greatest line ever.

Well, Nukes, if you do leave us next year, kol hakavod with what you decide to do then.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:35:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also been seriously considering Machal, and it also seriously conflicts with my college plans. But I'm tired of college, and I love Israel and want to serve there (but my mom will kill me if I don't finish school).

Nobody ever said Zionism (or Judaism, for that matter) was easy. If we want easy, we can all convert to Presbyterianism and live in Fargo. Or something like that.

Michael

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:25:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could we just relocate the hillel to israel? it would help so much with my transition. Oh if I don't get into a grad school program for fall of 2006 there I might join the army. Probably not because I doubt they even want me but who knows.
Nedenah

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:15:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Nedenah--who wouldn't want you? C'mon...you're an O-girl!
:)

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares