Sunday, December 11, 2005

Why Does Sunday Exists?

I'm sitting here on Sunday night, around 7:07, about to go and get some dinner. I've realized, however, that I haven't done too many productive things today. I did study a little bit of psychology, and sure, I e-mailed a cousin or two, but why does Sunday exist? All the other days have purpose! Let's see what the other days have to offer

Monday:
This day is necessary, unfortunately, to reintroduce people to the workfoce/school week. Monday is a day no one really likes, but it's almost nice to get back to work or school, depending on how much you like your job/school. Whatever it is, Monday has a very defined purpose, and it cannot be terminated.

Tuesday:
We all know the Monday is the official return to work, but who REALLY does work on Monday? We leave it all until Tuesday! Tuesday starts the hard work, and is the hardest day to get through. It's not as if you're recovering from a weekend, and you certainly don't have a weekend to look forward too. This is also a big day for the postal service, as more junk mail and bills arrive on Tuesday than any other day, because most things are mailed on Friday.

Wednesday:
What can I say about the middle of the week? It's that breaking point. When you come home on Wednesday, you know it's not long until you're off for another weekend. Without this transition period from former to latter part of the week, I think we'd all just go insane.

Thursday:
This is when the weekend starts. You heard me, the weekend. When you come home on Thursday, it's all downhill, especially if you keep Shabbos. What's in a Friday anyway? Not too much work, I can tell you from experience. So this is the last real day of work. Thursday is a great night to go out and see friends, of kick back with your wife/roomate/boyfriend/girlfriend and have a good night.

Friday:
We all know that Friday is one of the greatest days in the week. For those secular people, it's a night of debochery, and for religious people, it's the same, just a different kind. Friday involves family and friends, a fair amount of drinking, and an excellent dinner, usually followed by a bedtime later that you thought.

Saturday:
Another great day, totally free. No work, period. Even Saturday night, who does work? Only people with no lives and 99 averages! But who talks to them anyway? Saturday night is a great night to unwind the week, chill with friends, and maybe engage in some billiards, bowling, or a night out at the movies. Hell, you could even rent a movie and watch it at home alone, and it'd be ok!

Sunday:
Now here it is. What the hell do you do with a Sunday. Yes, I studied, but I can do that on any day of the week. I untangled my tzitzit that got tangled in the washing machine, but wow, that could have happened on any day of the week. I didn't communicate with anyone yet, except my immediate family. Me going to get dinner represents the first time I'll be leaving my house today.

Either Sundays suck, or I have no life, or both.

Enjoy your Sunday night :-P

10 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

So at first I too wondered, "Why Does Sunday Exits?" But now I wonder, "Why Does Sunday Exists?" I...I don't get it.

:)

Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:50:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger nyc pink fashionista said...

Actually, for Catholics and other Christians Sunday is a big deal, for it is seen as the Lord's day. This the the big day to go to church to listen to some priest, minister, reverend, etc. talk about the "the Big Boss".

Buddhist make a big deal about Sundays as weel. Or at least the Chinese Buddhist I know. The temples that my famiily attends usually haave the largest gatherings on Sunday. After prayer services, everyone gathers together for lunch. Vegeterrian of course. The kids that don't like curry, tofu, potatoes, stc. get ice cream. Btw, its kosher ice cream.

To sum it up, "shabbos" day for Buddhists and Christians is Sunday.

Personally, one reason why Sundays are a big deal for me, as silly as this sounds, is that its the Hallmark Hall of Fame Movie Night. They are really good. Sentimental and heart warming.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:57:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Aside from the fact that you're hilarious, Helen ("Personally, one reason why Sundays are a big deal for me, as silly as this sounds, is that its the Hallmark Hall of Fame Movie Night. They are really good. Sentimental and heart warming."), I think you should reread Nukes's hilarious post and replace Sunday with Saturday. :)

Monday, December 12, 2005 12:05:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Also, can we institute something? How about we all sleep on Sundays until like 1 or 2pm? This way, when Sunday night rolls around and you realize you have lots of work for the next day, you'll have energy to do it. And it's not like you're missing much--it's Sunday!
So, nu? What do you say?

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:54:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger nyc pink fashionista said...

That sounds good. Too bad it doesn't work for me.

Even if I didn't attend Sunday services, The Mclaughin Group and The Tim Russet show are on Sunday morning.

Besides, I don't care what the clergy say, I truly believe that they break out the good stuff for Communion on Sundays.

Monday, December 12, 2005 4:32:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, sunday is the first day of the week. You said for those who are religious? Well those who actually take Judaism seriously and live in Eretz Yisroel, Sunday is the first day of the week.
Friday happens to be one of the most hectic days of the week if you have any clue what it takes to perpeare for meals for shabbos. The 20 somethings that show up to their host meal with the" oh I forgot to buy the hummous,... or I left the wine at home. oopss, sorry" Well you shpould be because your host just spent all day and quite possible thursday night as well preparing for you and you think it is nothing, that fridays are for chilling out.

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:25:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

My, isn't someone bitter?

The Nucular Jew lives at home and therefore does not "show up to his host meal with the 'oh I forgot to buy the hummous...or I left the wine at home. oops, sorry'."

As for your "Well those who actually take Judaism seriously and live in Eretz Yisroel, Sunday is the first day of the week," I have to say that your comment is one of the most obnoxious I have ever seen on this blog. We're a nice bunch of kids, and we don't address people that way. If you want to use sarcasm for humor, go ahead. But to use it to be mean to people you don't know is a whole different thing we're not interested in. Not that you can't comment. Feel free to, I'm just saying...
And in any event, I can't figure out what you mean by that. If you're saying that we're not serious about Judaism because we don't live in Israel, we're still in school and a few of us plan on living in Israel later in life. So I don't get it.

Monday, December 12, 2005 7:01:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger The Nucular Jew said...

I'm sorry anonymous, but this was totally meant as a joke. It wrote it on Sunday night after doing nothing all day (not the norm for me).

Also, "Sunday" isn't the first say of the week, Yom Rishon is :-P

Plus, Monday feels more like "the first day of the week" for me because that's when the week starts in this country.

Sorry if I offended you and all your Israeli Jewish friends.

Oh, and Dina, you're a kkwqy

Monday, December 12, 2005 7:39:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger nyc pink fashionista said...

Nukes, what is a kkwqy?

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:57:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger elder punk of zion said...

i seriously miss sundays, does that mean im homesick for sundays?

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares