Sunday, February 26, 2006

Ohhh, the Hamptons

I haven't posted in so long, I'm going to get my Punk status removed. Ok, so here's the best I can do at a post, bragging, yet complaining about my new job.

Every Saturday night, except once or twice, since the semester started I've spent by the Segal residence. It's certainly been an interesting way to spend that night, since the Segal house is never (1) quiet or (2) boring. This makes for a fun, yet head-ache infested way of spending my Sat night. It's a lot of fun though, and I really appreciate Nedenah letting me basically use her family for my financial gain. No, we're not dating, I'm clearly not brown enough.

So the two kids I'm tutoring now (I'm a Bar-Mitzvah tutor for those who missed it) are pretty much... useless at Hebrew and singing, making a tough combination when you're trying to teach them something that is a combination of those two things. The only saving graces I have are that the girl has a really short haftarah, and the boy's mom is really motivating him and making the boy practice. So with both students, there's outside factors that are going to lead to initial success.

Basically, these first two b'nei mitzvot are clutch. If these go well, I'm solid and I can really get comfortable with the job. If they fail, I might as well just resign in May. I think I can do it.

The real pleasure though is the money. Craziness, I'm about to start the lesson with the one girl (Bree), and her mom, before walking out, decided she wants to pay me. That's fine, I guess, in front of the kid. A little unprofessional, but it won't get weird. That is until she counts out, in 20s, what she owes me for 3 sessions @ $60 a session. There is was, $180 in 20s laying in front of me, counted out, in front of my student. Extremely unprofessional, but I was in so much shock, I couldn't believe it.

So now the real math. By April, I'll have four sessions on Sunday, 1 on Wed, and one at another time of the week. That's 6 x $60. I love HaShem :-).

1 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Baal Teshuva Benny said...

ahhh...money is the oil that greases the wheels of piety.

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares