Monday, March 07, 2005

Kumah, v'Nashuvah el Ameynuh

Explain what this is to me, please:
An article in the Jerusalem Post said,

Looking over the longer term, just 57 percent (of the American Jews surveyed) said that "caring about Israel is an important part of my being Jewish," compared to 73 percent in 1989.


My goodness!

4 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger The Nucular Jew said...

That's cause American Jews are so comfortable that they're largely assimilating into the greater American culture. There's a reason why American Jews have the highest inter-marriage rate, and are the least orthodox. Only 11% of American Jews consider themselves orthodox, that's not much. If you go to Europe, or the British Empire, there' very little inter marriage and not very many reform communities.

Just as an example, thought my grandparents were not as orthodox as say, Dina, they were considered so in S. Africa and Lithuania. As for their offspring, not a single person has intermarried out of about 25, except my Mom.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:46:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger D.B. Cooper said...

"American culture"

isn't that the greatest oxymoron ever?

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:20:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Hey Nukes--I thought your dad converted for your mom?

And also, do you think the whole intermarriage rate being lower in Europe is because Jews in Europe don't IDENTIFY themselves as "Jewish" when asked? Just a thought...

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:31:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger The Nucular Jew said...

My dad converted because he loved the religion, not for my mom.

As for your theory Dina, I don't know, I'd have to go to Europe again and talk to the Jews more in depth

Friday, March 11, 2005 3:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares