Friday, August 05, 2005

Rashi

Today is the 900th anniversary of Rashi's death.

The first time we learned Rashi was in third grade. We had a chart in the classroom of his special script and we had to master that before we studied him. I remember I used to cringe at my desk hoping Morah Devorah wouldn't call on me because not only could I never differentiate half the letters from the other half, but I couldn't (read: can't) read Hebrew sans-nekudot.

In high school, I'd have Rashi Bekiyot to do every week. While it was a pain in the neck (we had to answer like 20 questions on Rashis from what ever perek of Chumash we were up to), I kinda loved it. Nowerdays, while I may not remember everything I learned about Rashi or from his commentaries, I find that I am still able to reference them with ease.

Also, by the way, we watched this Rashi movie in 11th grade that I highly recommend. You can purchase it (for yourself or, y'know, me) here if you'd like. It was fun watching because Rashi, while a cartoon character, really came alive. For example, there were parts where he was taking a walk and thinking and kicking a pebble about. My teacher explained afterwards that there are sources that mention that Rashi had a habit of kicking pebbles (not like splaying them everywhere, but like when you kick a pebble and then walk to it and kick it again...) when he was thinking things over.

Anyway, I'm a big chassid(ah?) of Rashi.

4 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, did it have somehting about his daughters whos names were like yocheved or miriam maybe? the movie sounds familiar, altough it was probably in 12th, not 11th. I cant imagine our mechaneches from 11th showed us that movie. besides, it sounds more like mrs. c. to know that rashi was rumored to have a tendency to kick pebbles, dont ya think?

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:39:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Mir, you're the best!

Mrs. C is the one who showed it to us...but it was 11th grade. I watched it in my art-room classroom. Y'know...the one on the 4th floor where we shared a table with someone? That was 11th grade. What did Mrs. C teach us in 11th? Did we have her for Chumash?

Friday, August 05, 2005 5:10:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jewish history? Or was that Mrs. Stroh? Must have been for the bekios thing. Wait, I think it was t'filah. She definitely taught parsha, but did she only teach it in 9th and 10th or 11th too? sigh, I'm getting so nostalgic here! And by the way, I was just looking at pictures of her today with one of my sisters friends--how ironic!

Friday, August 05, 2005 5:47:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Mrs. C showed us the movie in 11th grade. I know I mess up words and stuff, but this I know for certain. It coulda been Jewish history. Mrs. Stroh taught us Parsha and possibly Jewish history. The Reb taught us Tehillim. Our MichanechES taught us Megillah. Mrs. C? Had to have been Chumash. Who else would have taught that?

Friday, August 05, 2005 5:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares