Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Where Are the Standards?

Okay. Really, how am I expected to get any studying done when there are atrocities like this one being committed with no regrets? C'mon, AOL has so much money--why can't they hire copy editors?

11 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Chaim said...

I always make that typo. I don't know why. Isn't this against the I before E except after C rule?

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:58:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Sometimes grammar make no sense and you just have to follow with blind faith. Take, for example, the punctuation always goes inside the quotations rule. Does it seems logical? Not usually. But we do it anyway. Emunah, my friend, emunah.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:07:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Haha! I said "does it seems." I meant seem.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:07:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

And I also said "grammar make no sense" instead of "makes." I guess this is what happens when you take out words and add words while focusing on what to have for lunch.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:09:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Chaim said...

The vowel of Y is a prime example of having grammatical emunah.

adding N to A preceding a vowel doesn't work with Y's.

I have a Yellow Corvette (well, I wish I did)

Shouldn't it be. I have an Yellow Corvette ?

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:54:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Chaim said...

how can Y SOMETIMES be a vowel? (sigh)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:55:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Dindel said...

forget the spelling for a sec. I saw that this morning and it bothered me. (i didnt notice the spelling) but anyway. They arent back together. isnt that some sort of misquoted thing that people get sued over?? thats more what got my attention.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:12:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Dindel said...

and no. you have A YELLOW CORVETTE :) thats life :)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:13:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Okay, here's what I have: The n is not simply added to the a unless it is succeeded by a vowel sound. Since the first sound in "yellow" is ye, which isn't a vowel sound, the word yellow doesn't warrant an extra n added to the a. A word like "herbal,"* however, starts with the sound er which, of course, is vowely. So it becomes "an herbal experience."
Oooh...I think I did pretty well on this one!
Same way "one," unlike, "open" doesn't start vowely, so it gets an a while "open" gets an an. I'm seriously confused.

*What's that exception about one word phrases eluding the punctuation always goes inside the quotation rule?

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 4:44:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you explain "an historic"? when the flip did H become a vowel??

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:44:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Um...I think it's a historic because the h is sounded.
Alright, I'm going to cry because Strunk and White say nothing about the a/an issue. But I did find this...

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares