Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Fabrengen (sorry cant spell in yiddish)

Yeah so last night I went to this Chabad fabrengen in the old city. I think a fabrengen is like when a bunch of people get together to celebrate something and drink lots of vodka. Well apparently monday or tuesday this week was like the anniversary of the Alter Rebbes (i think hes also the baal ha-tanya but I have no clue what that is either)release from a russian jail 200 something years ago. So its like this chabadnik holiday, or just another excuse to sing a niggun.

Anyways my friends and I packed into this little shitble with a million other Chabadniks, Snags (as randy says) and other chassidim of shapes and colors. Personally being a 3/4 misnagdish im not into this whole sort of thing, but heck the place was rocking. My friends loved it, although I think the vodka had something to do with that as well. For my part I nearly got trampled a few times while standing on this shaky bench full of the Alter Rebbes supporters (well they wouldve been anyways).

We stayed a little while, pretended to understand whatever language the shmooze was in (yidbrew?), and then sorta disappeared into the dark night of J-Town and off to Ben-Yehuda street. Well, in the end we made it back by 2:30 am, and I slept through all of morning seder while dreaming about Hillelian Commandoes.

4 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why Chabad is so popular on college campuses, because they drink to everything.
The Rabbi came in on Tuesday, despite the strike, and he starts talking about how today is the greatest Jewish holiday of the year. We don't say tachanun (which is not such a big deal Chasidim don't say tachanun if it’s sunny outside) his kids wore white shirts to school etc. I’m sitting there thinking, did I miss something, did I forget about a holiday, is there one I didn't know about, one as important as the rabbi makes this one sound. It turns out, yeah, it’s the anniversary of the day the "Alter rebbe" was released from jail. I almost burst out laughing. This was the most important Jewish holiday of the year that I didn't know about. Its not even a Jewish holiday, its only a Lubavitch holiday, and I’m not even sure it can be called a holiday.
L'Chaim
mlt

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 1:17:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in Stern (yes, I was once a stern girl), we had this teacher Rabbi Metzger who was a bigtime chabadnick. One day he came in with a cake and started class with a dvar torah (like he would do for erev shabbos)then cut the cake. We were all confused until he explained that it was "Chabbad liberation day" and he read the two phrases on the cake that had something to do with the alter rebbe's release and miracles and all that and then insisted we each take a slice of the cake to celebrate. And that was my introduction to chabbad liberation day.
The end.
Miryam

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:54:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Luke Skyhopper said...

thanks helen, u provoked me to see what elese wikipaedia has to say about this fellow.

to add to what xvi said, the holy wikipaedia declared - He was imprisoned by the Czar on charges of supporting the Ottoman Empire, since he advocated sending charity to the Ottoman territory of Palestine.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:25:00 AM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Luke Skyhopper said...

hey! as if i knew this existed before 2 days ago??

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares