Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I Really Think We Should Live By That Pasuk

Let's take a sober moment to look at one of the key phrases of the megillah. Esther is afraid to speak to Achashverosh on behalf of the Jews, and Mordechai says to her, "if you remain silent at this time, relief and salvation will arise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish." (4:14)
Obviously, because of HaShem's promise to Avraham, HaShem was going to save the Jews. But it's been a while since we've had open miracles, right? So there had to be a shaliach through which the salvation could happen in a natural way. Meet Esther.
Esther was given an opportunity to save the Jews. Her existance didn't necessarily rely on her saving us, but she was able to. Mordechai did a good job setting her straight: here is a chance to save your people, take it whether it risks your own life or not. And I think the lesson of Purim is just that.
The obligations we have on Purim include giving money to the poor. God doesn't give everyone the same amount of money; to some HaShem gives a lot and to others, very little. Those who are given a lot are also given the opportunity to give to others. While we should always remember that, it's crucial to remember on Purim. Here is your chance to give to others; here is Purim reminding us that when given the chance, you have to seize it.
I'm going to eat more hamentashen now. Chag Sameach!

2 Shpeils

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Blogger Luke Skyhopper said...

woohoo, make aliyah!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:46:00 PM  

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that pasuk could be taken to mean that one shouldn't be afraid to do what is right. I think that maybe that is what you were getting at. I'm not completely sure that I followed your thought though. There is a lot more to saving the Jews than helping the poor. Help me out if I'm missing something. It seems to me that what we should learn from this pasuk, is not to be afraid of voicing an unpopular opinion, because sometimes we need to insist on something if we believe it to be true. I think that that is something Jews have trouble with, at least the ones I know. There is a lot more to say about this idea, but I won’t say it now.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out our Punks tees!

And our really cool MFFC:HCC tees!

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares